ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Michigan defeated SMU, 45-20, on Saturday, in a game that saw the Wolverines struggle initially, but pull away from the Mustangs at the end of the first half, and saw quarterback Shea Patterson and wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones connect for three touchdowns.
Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh is meeting with the media at Crisler Center after the big Week Three win to discuss what he saw in the victory.
Follow along with our live-blog below:
- On Shea Patterson’s accuracy: “He’s seeing the field really good. He’s making really good decisions. Receivers are helping out a lot.” Mentions Zach Gentry’s catch up the seam. “Everyone’s running good routes for him and catching the ball…he’s playing the position really well. Making the throws when they present themselves…good quarterback play.”
- On the targeting call: “My thought on that is that’s — are we going down that road where we’re going to review every play in that box area? Running backs are going to be going in there and lowering their head…interesting. It wasn’t a call from the field, it was a call from the booth.”
- On the 4th down play at midfield on offense: “That was good. We did a really good job on 4th down today. 3 for 3 on our fourth down conversions. Kept drives alive.”
- On Karan Higdon and Chris Evans: “Karan was a gametime decision, and he just didn’t feel like he could go. With Chris, we’ll see what his situation is exactly. It was some kind of strain or cramp.”
- Harbaugh says “we’re getting close to being good, being really good, but we’re not there yet.”
- Progress: “It’s always a process, but definitely seeing progress. There’s more to be had, and hope to attack it this week.”
- On lack of 3rd down stops: “All 11 playing at a high level…think progress is being made and we’re getting better.”
- On SMU’s QB: Says he broke contain a few times, got outside the pocket. “That’s where he was very effective.”
- On the team’s battle rhythm: “They’re really doing well…really focused group. I enjoy going out to practice every day with this team. Chomping at the bit to get back out there this week…thought the pass protection was really good today. Coming along steadily.”
- “There’s things we can get better at: attacking the ball in the air….all those little things. Excited to get em coached, get in practice and get onward.”
- Harbaugh on the back shoulder fade from Shea to DPJ: “That was a beautiful route, great catch, beautiful throw.” Said there were 2 or 3 plays that were used before hand to set that one up.
- “I thought Tru Wilson took a step in the right direction.” Also praises Quinn Nordin for hitting the 45 yard FG. “A lot of things to build off, a lot of things to also improve.”
- Will Hart: “Another highlight there, talk about stacking good game to good game.”
- On the Big Ten games: “They’re big games, they almost count as two. What you do and what they do. One game almost counts as two. I know our guys are excited about it, I know I am.”
- On the penalties: “I thought there was 13…had two on offense, one a holding penalty on Tru, and a false start on Zach and maybe Juwann — that one was legit.
- “You just go back and evaluate them — address them through coaching, through discipline. There’s some, I don’t agree with them now, and I don’t think I’ll change my mind when I see the tape.” Says he disagreed with the Aidan Hutchinson rushing the passer. Says the QB was leaning backwards and was going to end up on his back regardless.
- “I know some of them are penalties and penalties are hurting us.”
That’s it for Jim Harbaugh.