Rivalry News: MSU's Dantonio Remarks on Return of Formerly Dismissed Player

Rivalry News: MSU's Dantonio Remarks on Return of Formerly Dismissed Player

Football

Rivalry News: MSU's Dantonio Remarks on Return of Formerly Dismissed Player


Jon Reschke was dismissed from Michigan State after using racist remarks. Now he seems to be back with the Spartans.


Rivalry News: MSU’s Dantonio Remarks on Return of Formerly Dismissed Player

Former Orchard Lake (MI) Brother Rice linebacker Jon Reschke was dismissed from MSU years ago.

Just before the Spartans went 3-9, they had the offseason from hell, losing multiple players due to a sexual assault charge, and simultaneously losing one of the rising stars of the program in Jon Reschke, after he made some insensitive remarks about players of another race.

Reportedly, Reschke is being given a reprieve, two years later, and is in the process of rejoining the program.

Well, it’s not just a report. MSU head coach Mark Dantonio addressed the situation at Big Ten Media Days on Tuesday, and said that Reschke is back on the roster and back with the program.

But, that is subject to change if the other players feel uncomfortable.

“In regards to Jon Reschke, he was an individual player that played for us in ’16, was injured,” Dantonio said. “Made a statement and was suspended from our football team in the spring or in the winter of 2017 and was done. Publicly apologized for insensitive remark that he made. Graduated from Michigan State. Was intent — blew out his knee was intent on going to another school. Had to apply for a sixth year. At that point in time, we started asking ourselves as a program, not me, but as players as well, did we want him back in our program or did we not.

“I’ve always tried to do what’s right, and I’ve always tried to look at everything that was — always tried to look at everything in its completeness, what best affects that young man and his future, whether it was Demetrius Cooper last year or whether it was situations at other times. So I put it to our football team and allowed them to take part, become part of the process, and that’s what it’s been, it’s been a process, and it’s an ongoing process. Whether it comes to fruition or not remains to be seen.

“But it’s been a step-by-step process. And I talked to our football team and our players and said: Hey, if you guys want him back, then you have to bring him back. It has to be a decision made by our African-American players, led by them. It has to be — they have to support that. But I think college football, and teams in general — when I talk about “teams,” talking about soccer teams, football teams, whatever — they have an opportunity to step forward collectively as a group and make statements relative to society, I think, year by year. Sometimes they’re impactful. Sometimes they’re not. But the one thing I want our football players to understand and to learn from is that — and to grow as people from is that they’re going to have to handle big, big issues at times, such as standing for the flag or not, things we’ve endured at Michigan State in this past year, they’re going to be a part of that, and they’re going to have to weigh in on things. And I’m going to have to listen to them and listen to them weigh in on it and make decisions, ultimately. I’ll ultimately have to make decisions. But I have individuals that I’m concerned about. I’m concerned about people’s families. I’m concerned about how they live their life. Jon Reschke makes the decision he wants to come back, he’s trying to look things in the eye and ask for forgiveness. Our football team has forgiven him, I think. If they haven’t, that’s something we’ll deal with on an ongoing basis.

“It’s been a step-by-step process. Brought him back, let him be around a bit in summer camp and watch, not summer camp, but our conditioning areas, then we let him partake in that conditioning. We watched to see how he interacted with players that listened to our football team since January, our leadership group, our entire team. Every month I’ve revisited the situation and asked them how do they feel; do they still feel the same; they’ll need to speak up and talk about this issue. And I’m allowing, hopefully allowing, healing to take place among our players and this situation.

“So I’ll always do the best I can in that endeavor, and we’ll take a step-by-step approach. But these things occurred over a year and a half ago. And he’s not on scholarship, nor will he be on scholarship. And I think that’s a big thing. He paid an ultimate price by being out of football for a year. And he’s lost his scholarship. He’s suffered a knee injury. We’ll see how he comes out of it. And this will be a story to watch maybe as we move forward. But I think it’s a learning opportunity for our football team and it’s an opportunity for growth as people and as a society. So that’s what we’re going to do, and we’re going to see what happens.”

[…]

“Right now he’s on the roster, but it’s a step-by-step process, the first step was for him to be able to complete what we call our bottom line program which has been completed. Next step will be does he come to camp or not. But at this point in time, all indications from my players is that they want him in camp. And I’ll try and honor our football team and see what we can do. But that’s the process. Step-by-step process.”

Watch more:

Dantonio spoke more on the subject after the official appearance at the podium.

Contact/Follow @WolverinesWire@isaiahhole

Latest

More WolverinesWire
Home