Beilein on Chris Webber: The Fab Five 'Are Part of our Program'

photo by Brett Davis Brett Davis | USA Today

Beilein on Chris Webber: The Fab Five 'Are Part of our Program'

Basketball

Beilein on Chris Webber: The Fab Five 'Are Part of our Program'


Michigan basketball coach John Beilein is welcoming former Fab Five star Chris Webber home to Ann Arbor with open arms.


Beilein on Chris Webber: The Fab Five ‘Are Part of our Program’

Michigan head coach John Beilein is ready to put the past in the past.

In case you missed it last week, former Michigan running back Jamie Morris, who hosts The M Zone on WTKA The Ticket in Ann Arbor, broke the news after his interview with former Fab Five star forward Chris Webber that Webber would finally return to campus in official capacity for the first time since 1994, as Michigan football head coach Jim Harbaugh invited him to be the honorary captain for a game in 2018.

Webber, who had all but ignored his affiliation with the university, even after the NCAA ban was lifted, accepted the invitation.

His reversal on that position is welcome news to Michigan head coach John Beilein, he told reporters on Tuesday.

Webber’s fellow Fab Five teammates have been back to the program in some capacity since the ban was lifted — which was put in place after it was discovered that several players from that era and beyond accepted cash from disgraced donor Ed Martin. Most notably, Jalen Rose, now an ESPN personality, hosted the Jordan brand jersey unveiling with hip-hop producer DJ Khaled, and also was in 2017’s hype video which aired before each home game. Rose was open about his desire to both get back into the program as well as reunited with Webber in the same capacity.

Now that it looks like he got his wish with Webber, Coach Beilein has extended that possibility with open arms, not just with the legendary group of former Michigan freshmen, but all and any players who once donned the maize and blue.

“I think we have to – since the day that I got here, and of course, there was five or six years where I was limited in what I could say about that era – but since the ban’s been off, I’ve reached out to Chris several times,” Beilein said. “I continue to do that. And we’re going to continue to try and build bridges, just really work that there’s a lot of healing going forward.

“The men’s basketball program history has taken a lot of twists and turns. I want every player that’s ever played here feel like they’ve been a part of that building, including Chris and anyone else. They’re a part of our program. That’s a never-ending quest as a part of our program – not just with Chris and the Fab Five.

“We’re really looking forward to the day we get him back here with our team and in front of crowds, things like that.”

Contact/Follow @WolverinesWire@isaiahhole

Latest

More WolverinesWire
Home